Being one of the premier experts in mindfulness people ask me a lot of questions about what exactly mindfulness is – and what it is not.
I thought that I would address some of those concerns in this short piece and, then, sometime soon, expand my vision for a better world for those of us who are trying to be more mindful in mid-life.
For today I will share five wonderful ways to be more mindful in your own life and then make that life a more healthy, happy, prosperous and loving place to be.
So let’s start with a brief overview. The one prevailing question about this technique that I get the most is about mindfulness and meditation and whether they the same thing or not. They are not. Although meditation is good for the body, mind and spirit most of us just don’t have an hour or even 30 minutes a day to spend on a spiritual practice. That is why I love mindfulness so much. Mindfulness is comprised on short and simple exercises and techniques that address our most common issues, troubling issues and problems and can do that is an easy yet powerfully effective way. To put it as simply as I can, mindfulness is bringing your attention and your observations back to the present so that you are living IN THE NOW and not reliving the past or being fearful of the future.
Here then are five fast and easy ways to reduce stress, increase self-awareness, enhance your emotional intelligence and deal with painful thoughts and feelings in a proactive and positive way.
- BE AWARE OF YOUR BREATHING. As you breathe in know that you are taking and “in breath” and as you breath out recognize that you are breathing and “out breath.” It sounds so simple right? And yet it is a tremendously powerful exercise that will calm you and bring you back to the present moment.
- CONSCIOUSLY RAISE YOUR THOUGHTS. Trust in the power of your own thoughts and know that as you raise your thoughts and you recognize that “all is well” in your world you will raise your vibration and bring yourself back to a place of peace.
- BE AWARE OF ANY TENSION IN YOUR BODY. Feel for any tension and stress that you have in your body and with intent go ahead and release it. You can do this through using an active visualization where you imagine the tension and the stress being put into a big balloon before you send that balloon out to the Universe. Once again you are brining your breathing and your consciousness back to the “NOW” and connecting with your Higher Power.
- TAKE A WALK WITH NO DESTINATION IN MIND. While you are walking go ahead and remind yourself that there is other place that you should be than right where you are. Give your brain a break.
- FORGIVE. FORGIVE. FORGIVE. This one is just plain self-explanatory but will bring you great happiness and joy.
Pay attention to your breathing. Practice non-judgment and an awareness of the present moment and be grateful for the wonder in all of life. Your entire existence will change in the most wonderful ways and all it takes is a few minutes a day.