Pork and Cabbage
Fall is the season that will allow you to truly enjoy sweet pork as pigs bred during this days are leaner so the meat they produce contains less fat making pork and cabbage the perfect combination to satisfy your appetite especially after a day of raking leaves and picking apples.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated red onion
- ¼ teaspoon molasses
- 2 pounds pork cut in one-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium white onions chopped
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup cider
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Combine vinegar, grated onion and molasses. Add pork and allow to marinate while you prepare the vegetables. Drain pork pieces reserving marinade. Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown pork lightly. Add pork to Crockpot. Toss onions in pan, sauté lightly and then add onions and cabbage to the Crockpot. Add tomato sauce, pepper and nutmeg along with cider to reserved marinade to the skillet. Heat over a low flame stirring to loosen the brown drippings in the pan. Pour liquid over ingredients in the Crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. Just before serving stir in the horseradish. Serve over rice or cooked noodles.