THREE C SALAD
Chances are VERY high that you will not be able to find fresh tomatoes during this month so, for this recipe, we are going to use an alternative by using a can of Italian plum tomatoes. Drain the liquid and squeeze the tomato lightly. You can save the juice for soups and stews.
- 4 drained Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 large green peppers finely chopped
- ½ cup plain low fat yogurt
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin’1/4 cup minced chives
- teaspoon corn oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
Combine the tomatoes and peppers in a bowl and stir in the yogurt and spices. Heat oil in a small skillet and add mustard seed and immediately cover. Shake covered pan over medium heat for several minutes and remove from heat. Stir in mustard seed into tomato/pepper mixture and serve with pita bread halves.